Characters might spend time alone, either before or after significant events. Preparing and processing is important for character motivation and consequential actions. It can also keep throughs out of busy scenes where it might distract from the moment.
Here are a few things I like when reading or writing characters on their own.
- Keep it short. Long paragraphs of time alone with their thoughts can be boring.
- Tie it into something active, like exploring or going through old trinkets that prompt memories for the character to think about.
- Practicing something potentially useful is another way to make it active and have the character pause once in a while to remind themselves why they’re doing it.
- Make it lead up to something like a significant event that the MC is preparing for. What are they’re hopes and fears for the outcome
- Or have the MC processing something afterwards. How do they feel about it and what are they going to do next?
- Maybe have them talk to a pet or inanimate object or someone they lost in an imaginary conversation.
So there you have it. Ways for an MC to be alone without boring readers with nothing but thoughts.