I’ve always loved shifters, and my recent reads prove it. See my Reading Ranting page for the reviews of May’s books. Also, most of these are audiobooks, so I tend to get through those really quickly.
In May I read…
- Zodiac Academy book 1, Awakening by Caroline Peckham and Susanne Valenti, 5 stars.
- Zodiac Academy book 2, Ruthless Fae, 5 stars.
- Zodiac Academy book 3, The Reckoning, 5 stars.
- Mystic Bayou book 3, Selkies are a Girl’s Best Friend by Molly Harper, 5 stars.
- Mystic Bayou book 4, Always Be My Banshee, 5 stars
- Mystic Bayou book 4.5, One Fine Fae, 4 stars. (review pending)
- Mystic Bayou book 5, Shifters in the Night, 5 stars
- Mystic Bayou book 6, A Farewell to Charms, 5 stars. (review pending)
- Sands of Arawiya book 2, We Free the Stars by Hafsah Faizal, 3 stars.
- Halven Rising book 2, Fates Entwined by Jules Barnard, 4.5 stars.
- Guinevere, The Bear’s Heart by Fil Reid, 4.5 stars.
See below for links to the reviews.
Mystic Bayou is an adult urban fantasy and romance set in a realistic town that just happens to have some unrealistic shenanigans. The locals are a mix of humans and shifters or other various magical folk, including fae and banshees. It also has dragons. 😍 It has 2 joint protagonists, different in each book and a bigger plot we follow throughout the series. I love the idea of different protagonists in a series to give the reader a different perspective or focus..
Zodiac Academy (NA) follows 2 twins from the human world who discover they’re fae and get sent to a magical college. Imagine Harry Potter on crack. 🤣 More fae and shifters, including vampires, werewolves, sirens, and dragons. OMG more dragon shifters. This is full-on smut and an insane amount of jerkfaces. Just when you think things are going well, the twins face a ton of shit that mess everything up again.
We Free The Stars is part 2 of Sands of Arawiya duology after We Hunt the Flame. This Arabian inspired YA adventure follows a huntress and prince who are brought together to free magic in the land. I loved book 1, but wasn’t as thrilled with book 2. The romance is annoying and it was too slow in places, but I still enjoyed it.
Halven Rising is another series about fae where college students discover they are part fae (halven) and have magic. They travel to the fae realm where kings and queens battle to rule. I’ve read books 1 and 2, and book 3 is on my tbr. Each book has different protagonists, which makes it more interesting in my opinion.
In June I plan to read…
- Zodiac Academy book 4, Shadow Princess by Caroline Peckham and Susanne Valenti
- Zodiac Academy book 5, Cursed Fates
- Zodiac Academy book 6, Fated Throne
- Zodiac Academy book 7, Heartless Sky
- Zodiac Academy book 1.5, Awakening, as Told by the Boys
- The Never King by Nikki St. Crowe
- Ruin & Roses by Deanna Ortega
- Halven Rising book 3, Fates Fulfilled
I’m so excited to get read more of Zodiac Academy. I’m currently at the end of book 4 so that review might be up later or next Saturday. As for The Never King and Ruin & Roses, they have good reviews and lots of support on bookish social media so I decided to check out the blurb and though they looked good. And I want to finish the Halven rising series.
Check back in at the end of June to see how I went with my June TBR.